Monday, May 18, 2009

Yes I have read some good books lately

I originally made a decision not to make specific book recommendations largely because I don't want to portray myself as any kind of authority but one of my family members told me lately that if for nothing else than the sheer number of books I devour in a weeks time I have something to say, specifically, about the books I have read. (disclaimer: I do not have any personal/professional/monetary/etc. ties to any of these authors, their publishing houses, distributors...well you get the idea)
I am, remember, an on-line bookseller but I am not mentioning any of these books in the hopes of selling my used copy:):):) A lot of them are being recycled through my daughters hands and by the time they've finished, believe me, noone would buy these books. For a fun few hours, read any of these books....oops..gotta go, I've got a book calling to me!
  1. A Veiled Deception (Annette Blair). Not a literary masterpiece by any means but it kept my attention throughout and I am hoping that the author decides to make it into a series. Heroine Madeira, a dress designer extraordinaire and vintage clothing designer, returns home for her youngest sister's wedding. Murder, long buried passions, delicious clothing and a fun relationship follow. Why do I like this book? The main character is likeable, the secondary characters are fun, the locale is real and who wouldn't want a closet full of valuable vintage clothing, a loving family and a hot FBI agent at her side. And yes there are a couple of ghosts thrown into the mix.
  2. Stephanie Bond's Body series.....there are 6 of them (five have been published, the 6 is scheduled for June). It took several tries to read the first in the series for some reason. I actually purchased 2 & 3 and skimmed their first pages. Heroine Carlotta Wren and her con man brother initially come across as unlikeable and totally self-serving initally. Get beyond that and enjoy the rest. Warning.....at some point you may find yourself wondering how much **** two people can get themselves into!
  3. Love Mercy by Earlene Fowler. All about coming to terms with what you have and then finding out there are always new options and relationships to explore.
  4. Nearly anything by Barbara Michaels or Elizabeth Peters. Actually they are the same person writing in two different genres. Warning....some of Barbara Michaels' books will require sleeping with the light on for a few nights (Ammie Come Home, the Crying Child)
  5. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books are a hoot...there's a new one coming out in a few weeks
  6. Donna Andrews' Meg Lansglow series. All I can say is wear waterproof mascara....I have never read one of these books without screams and tears of laughter. I not only want to have Meg's life, Ms. Andrews is one of those authors whose talent I lust after!

No comments:

Post a Comment