Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day (read a good book for, with or to your Mom today)

My wishes go out to everyone, everywhere who is a Mom by birth, adoption, or circumstances....maybe you are an aunt, an uncle, a best friend, a sister or a grandparent who has taken on the role of Mom to a child. I think a lot about the role of Mom-dom these days as my oldest son is getting married in two weeks. I rejoice in his happiness and wish only the best for my son and his lady love but mourn a bit the loss of my role as the most important woman in his world....but I am happy to share that title with his fiancee, as long as once in a while he turns back the clock for a few minutes and I can selfishly be, once again, the only one! My mom, unfortunately, requires skilled nursing care round the clock and has been in a nursing facility for the last few years. We nearly lost her in January and while we can no longer share a day at the Mall or in idle gossip, I do wish her a Happy Mother's Day and thank her for her patience, love, and understanding.

On to the topic of books.....I'm reading my 4th serial killer book of the weekend and remember how I talked earlier about trends in the cozy mystery genre? (this ties in to Mother's Day as well) The last 2 books have been about an apparently non-regulated industry--fertility clinics....maybe this is in response to the furor about Octo-Mom and maybe just coincidence. The first book was about a tycoon's desperate search for any children of his college sperm donation....he needs a liver lobe donation. Trust me when I say that being one of his 'donor offspring' quickly became a quick ticket to the morgue. The book I'm now halfway through is a missing persons whodunit surrounding a young girl's search to find her unknown donor father...roughly a third of the way into the book the female 'donor offspring' are starting to disappear for yet unknown reasons. Both are good books and thoroughly enjoyable.

Yes I had a great Mother's Day. My four offspring took me to lunch, my soon to be married son provided a beautiful bouquet, my youngest son and his puppy painted me one of their Jackson Pollack type of canvases, my oldest daughter made me a scrapbook and my youngest daughter just brought in 2 boxes of chocolate....

Go read a good book and give your Mom a kiss!





1 comment:

  1. From your child who knows how much you love books and remember late nights reading books and watching Ghost.....HAPPY HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!!

    ~Ross

    ReplyDelete