Saturday, May 9, 2009

Serial Killers and other Monsters

I just can't decide why I enjoy certain books....I am particularly fond of mysteries (just ask my long suffering children who have grown up tripping over stacks of books, endured endless hours in the library, the bookstores, watching me search online for the latest and greatest). But even I, mystery fiend that I am, have certain requirements. Despite the fact that I have an advanced degree in History with a dual concentration in American Colonial and British History, I absolutely hate loathe and despise British mysteries. Say all you will about the wonders of Agatha Christie...Ms. Marple and Mr. Poirot bore me to point of lunacy. Sherlock Holmes? Never. I thought maybe it was just the time period ...nope I hate current British mysteries, I hate historical British mysteries....the one glaring exception to this is the astonishingly hilarious world created by Elizabeth Peters and Radcliffe and Amelia Peabody/Emerson. Maybe because they don't actually live in England except during Egypt's off season for archeological digs??

Anyway I just wandered off the point...something I am prone to do. Requirements for a good mystery.
  • No English mysteries (except Amelia and her brood)
  • No historical mysteries (I made one exception to this rule, got totally involved in the series and it abruptly ended...so I guess that shows me)
  • No true crime...I can't stand the thought of anyone actually eviscerating someone else which makes me wonder why I like serial killer books?
  • I used to prefer female leads, but once I discovered Elvis Cole and Harry Bosch, Alex Delaware, Jesse Stone....well you get the picture....I relaxed this rule
  • Cozy mysteries used to fill my nightstand but I am rapidly growing annoyed with the cozy genre authors. They seem to be trend driven (lately all of the new cozy series have a craft theme) Not that I have any objection to crafters...When I'm not immersed in a stack of books I scrapbook, crochet, bead and alter books just like any other middle aged, middle American mom. I guess my big complaint with the cozy genre is that a lot of them go something like this. Somebody is killed in the heroine's general vicinity (usually someone the woman never met, doesn't know and has very little reason to really care about). The police come and interview the heroine (usually a very good-looking policeman). For some reason the intrepid heroine doesn't think the policeman is either a) very smart despite their overwhelming good looks or b) our heroine is just plain bored and decides to investigate the murder of a total stranger to the detriment of her business, her safety and in the face of the disapproval of some of her circle of friends. But then there is always her little band of Baker Street Irregular wannabes who egg her on and then Ms. Heroine starts running around asking annoying questions of everyone she meets until she stumbles upon the villain (usually involving the reader in some sort of unbelievable moment of peril until she is rescued by the above mentioned good looking policeman and either goes happily home with him if this is a single book or if intended as a seres, the heroine goes home with him promising not to ever get involved again in a crime (until the next total stranger gets murdered in front of her) or throws a snappy come-back at Mr. Policeman and fully intends to never see him again (until the next total stranger is murdered in front of her)
  • I like a book with a sense of humor and an author who can combine real sounding dialogue, a sound plot and characters the reader would like to meet in real life.
  • A bit of romance is okay....I have actually strayed into the romantic suspense section of the local bookstore more than one time. I just stay away from the bodice rippers.
  • I realized a long time ago that there also has to be some sort of visual impact about the book cover/jacket. I am absolutely certain that I have passed up books that were terrific because I didn't like the primary color of the cover or hated the artwork in some way.
  • This brings me, finally, to the topic of this post. Serial Killers and other Monsters. I have discovered a love within my reader's soul for books combining gorgeous female FBI profilers or tomboy cops butting heads with and investigating serial killers alongside dashingly handsome (and of course renegade) Private Investigators (most of whom used to be FBI or Secret Service). One of the main characters is usually filthy rich and has all of these fascinating toys to play with (their own jet, a fantabulous computer set up capable of tracking the tiniest movement of the tiniest of little ants) Are these books as formula driven as the cozies? Of course they are....but give me a nasty evil horrifying depraved serial killer (with a catchy media name) over a cozy killer anyday. I am so glad that reading lists aren't a matter of public record....I'd be in big trouble:):):):):)
My point is that reading choices are as individual as snowflakes.....I have always tried to instill a love of reading in my children....always telling them I don't care WHAT you read as long as you read something. Of course now that they're grown and can drive themselves to the bookstore, maybe I need to amend that statement slightly to read anything as long as it's legal and you wouldn't be too embarassed for Mom to see it as well.

This has turned into more of a treatise than a post. I need to go check the shelves and find a new renegade FBI agent/female investigator duo to read about. And I have some scrapbooks to finish--with a nod to the cozy genre.

If you're more into running than reading, check out theseshoesweremadeforrunning.blogspot.com and follow our journey to the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment