Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Yes I am still reading

Unfortunately (or fortunately for my bank balance) I just returned to work after several months of unemployment and I am finding it hard, but never impossible, to carve significant reading time out of my day. The biggest problem I am facing with the return to work is simply getting back into the rhythm of the work day....setting an alarm, making a lunch, actually having to get dressed like an adult rather than spending the day in baggy yoga pants and well past their prime t-shirts. And like any new job, in a totally new profession, there is a lot of material to absorb, new routines to learn, new people to meet and become assimilated with....

I just finished, reading by candlelight during our first thunderstorm induced power outage, Plea of Insanity by Jilliane Hoffman. No it's not a serial killer book but a disturbing tale of murder and betrayal with a glimpse into the highly political world of the American justice (or injustice) system as well as a mini-course on the heartbreaking world of schizophrenia. "Plea" is a stand-alone (so far) from Ms. Hoffman. Her previous books were both centered on the same main character and I for one would love to see a second outing with the main characters of "Plea".

I also started (again by candlelight) the first few chapters of the new Bay Tanner novel....Covenant Hall. I am reading this with a lot of foreboding that it is about time for Bay to experience some soul-searing loss. Not sure if it's going to be her elderly father or her almost fiancee. She's already been widowed, betrayed by a lover, seen her partner killed, not to mention surviving the pain of a distant alcoholic mother. And it seems that she has an unknown sister that her dying father wants her to find....and somehow I just know that this sister will be tied in someway with the missing family of her new client. But Bay is tough and always manages to bounce back and so I'll go on the ride with her wherever it takes her.

Enough thoughts for tonight....after all I need to read and still have to set my alarm (groan).

Happy reading, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment