Monday, May 11, 2009

Books at the library and books at the post office

  • What do the library and the post office have to do with books and with each other? Okay the library is obvious but the post office? I am an on-line book-seller and bookswapper so I spend a lot of time either at the post office mailing books or buying stamps. Today I had to visit the post office to find out how badly the new postage rates are going to affect my little on-line business. I had two books to mail (normally it would cost $4.46 for the two; today it cost $4.76, an increase of 15 cents/book. Most of my on-line inventory consists of gently read paperback books I recycle and after postage and other costs I net about 50 cents/book. The increase in postage (if I leave my pricing structure alone) lowers my profit to 35 cents/book. After several hours of back and forth I decided to reprice my inventory, adding the 15 cents to the price of each of my books which in turn will no doubt lower my overall sales as the average on-line used bookshopper is looking for the cheapest price not the best quality (which I provide). The other impact on my business will take a while longer to see. I will be reviewing my entire inventory and undoubtedly will have to switch the lower third to half of my for-sale inventory to swap inventory lowering my overall bottom line.
  • Today's library experience was totally positive. I had books on reserve ready for quick pick up. The books were ready and noone was ahead of me in line. And one of my favorite librarians was working. Our local library system is rated as one of the best in the United States and I confess that I don't utilize the library resources as much as I could. Rather than browse the stacks and maybe find an undiscovered gem I take the lazy woman's way out and just request new titles (nearly always mysteries of course). So I 'haunt' the online services (Stopyourekillingme.com, cluelass.com, amazon.com) and the various author tracker services for the latest from my favorite authors. Occasionally I find a new author to try and these finds are exciting for a reader like me. I also hear once in a while from different authors announcing new books or upcoming book tours.
  • Not a lot today about actual reading...but for you who are looking for book suggestions I do recommend that you can use some of these online sights for new reading ideas. And if you, like me, are trying to minimize your book buying budget, get your lists together and find out whether your local library system has an online reserve/request system. It is possible to set up your book wish list and reserve everything you want without even changing out of your pajamas!
Gotta go find a new book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment