Saturday, January 23, 2010

Quick recommendation if you're looking for something new to read

Toni L.P Kelner....has at least two series that I know of. One I believe she no longer is writing (the Laura Fleming series) but the new series (Where Are They Now?) has 2 entries...the first is the Curse of the Kissing Cousins about the former cast members of a Brady Bunch like TV show and the most recent Who Killed the Pinup Queen is a tightly woven and very enjoyable tale intermingling memories of a successful TV western and the world of aging pinup queens (think Bettie Page).

The first book was good the second is even better. My only quibble with this author is that to the best of my knowledge she never concluded the first series and with the second one it's taking a long time between books. Ms. Kelner has also authored several anthologies with other popular mystery authors but, as I may have mentioned a million or so times, I hate short stories.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked PINUP QUEEN and KISSING COUSINS.

    About the first series not quite ending, it wasn't quite my choice. The publisher dropped the series. I hope to go back to it sometime, but it depends on getting publisher interested. Besides, I want to wait until Laura and Richard's children are old enough that they won't be such an obstacle to crime-solving.

    As for the Tilda series, the third should be out this time next year.

    And I'm so sorry you don't like short stories--they're great fun to write!


    Best,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what my problem with short stories is...I've tried and tried and tried. Maybe I get too invested in the characters and just don't want my interaction with their 'lives' to end so quickly?? I have been told by a lot of authors that a short story is so much harder to write well because obviously everything has to be wrapped up so quickly and a good short story author puts as much into a short as they do a novel. I also blame a third grade teacher of mine who used creative writing (particularly short stories) as a punishment for me if she caught me reading during class... which I will admit I did a lot as we moved the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade and as the new school didn't have accelerated classes I was bumped down from a 2-3 grade which should have put me in 4th grade that fall into a standard 3rd grade. I was bored, she was not a good teacher. Bad combination. So I read and was punished for it.

    Cannot wait for the new Tilda book and I hope to see Richard and Laura in the future.

    Thanks for reading my blog. I think you're the first non-family member to do so. I just write it as an exercise to try and explain the wonders of reading.


    Marinelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marinelle,

    Reading is such a subjective thing, so I rarely try to figure out why I like or dislike things. I just enjoy what I enjoy, and avoid what I don't. Not much on poetry, for instance.

    As for reading your blog, I'll cop to having Google alerts set to find my name and various of my book and story titles. Gives me a happy moment when I see somebody talking about me online. Shallow, I know, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete