Saturday, September 26, 2009

Second Spirits

Written by Juliet Blackwell....a pseudonym for sisters working on apparently a couple of mystery series. This is the first in a series whose main character is a witch with a BIG W. In the world of witches her power is off the charts but somewhat untrained, unfocused and definitely not to be messed with.

I picked this up as a throwaway...'well maybe I'll give a new series a try' kind of a whim purchase. And while I am neither a witch (I can't even convince red lights to change for me)0r a believer in a lot of extra sensory 'stuff' I definitely think there are folks among us that have something more than the rest of us do...maybe they're just more aware, more in tune with their surroundings or maybe who knows what.

This book is filled with those people....whether or not witches (wise women, healers, and such exist I leave for you to decide). Well written (I fell in love with Oscar) and given the right amount of suspension of belief, very believable. In fact, given some of the poor quality of mystery writing coming out now, this is one of the better books I've read in a long time. Hopefully the next book due in Summer 2010 is as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment